Sunday, January 4, 2009

100 Pulps!

Shadow: Big Trouble in Little China
Hello Pulp friends,

I hope everyone had a great holiday season and wish you all a wonderful and successful 2009 :)
I wanted to celebrate my 100th post with a strip but work got in the way (even if I haven't abandoned the strip) so I thought what better than the Shadow to celebrate a blog that was inspired by those radio shows?
The above is a commission I recently did for our own friend Ilia: he asked for some action and I gave him a big chase in Little China :) Hope it was worth the wait, Ilia.
I wanted also to beef up this post with a great news: I was lucky enough to be invited to illustrate an issue of Scalped (#27), the critically acclaimed series created by Jason Aaron and R.M.Guera and published by DC Vertigo. I have been fan of this series since day one so you can imagine how excited I am to draw one of the stories written by Jason. For those of you who are not familiar with this title, it's one of the top noir, gritty book out there (the other being Criminal by Brubaker and Phillips). I greatly suggest to hunt down the trades if you guys haven't got on this book already.
I'll make sure to post some preview pages when I can, but right now I hope you enjoy the promo art below.

Cheers to you all and cheers to more Pulp in 2009!
Francesco

Click on the sepia image for the color version with pre-order info.

Scalped

5 comments:

Chad Carter said...

I can barely contain my glee...the Shadow! and news of SCALPED work? FF, in the wake of Richard Stark's death last week, you've provided a real pick me up here!

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thank you, Chad, glad to hear I am not the only one excited about the Scalped book :) And thanks for mentioning Richard Stark: I actually didn't know about it. Just posted a tribute to him and Shadow illustrator Edward Cartier.

Francesco

Federico Milella said...

Decisamente cazzuto!!!! :)

Unknown said...

It's not often you get to see the Shadow in action! He usually...lurks. Thanks for the refreshing look at him, and congrats on the Scalped book! That's great news, and your work will make the book shine, I'm sure!

-Dave

Francesco Francavilla said...

Fede : HAHA! yeah, I made Dashiell a little more though than he is (and he IS though enough already ;)) Bella parola, cazzuto :)
Dave : thanks, man :) The commission was inspired by the header of this blog: I was always wondering what happens to the SHadow after he jumps ;) And thanks for your nice words on Scalped, much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Francesco