Sunday, June 3, 2012

AFTERLIFE With ARCHIE!

(After)Life With Archie #23 Cover
~~ Click on the image for biggie ~~

Hello Pulp Friends,

After my acclaimed set of covers for ARCHIE MEETS KISS (which contributed to my Eisner nomination as Best Cover Artist as well), I was SUPER happy to be asked to provide a new variant cover for the folks of Riverdale. :)
This time I played the old EC/Warren horror magazine cover card by having Archie face a zombified Jughead and Co.

Here's an excerpt from the Archie Comics website:
"Just when you thought it was safe to stroll through the Riverdale cemetery at night… AOL’s Comics Alliance unveiled the variant cover of Life with Archie #23 where Archie encounters his undead friends, courtesy of Archie Meets KISS cover artist Francesco Francavilla, who lends his talents to Archie once again. No stranger to giving Riverdale a spooky facelift, this latest effort from Francavilla further cements Archie’s flexibility in limitless story possibilities.
While the story itself contains no sign of zombies, it serves as a good indicator of more stunning covers to come that’ll keep readers on their toes. When it comes to Archie Comics, expect the unexpected."

I would like to add that my foray in the ARCHIE world is not over yet ;)

Have a wonderful Pulp Sunday, everyone.

Cheers,
Francesco

Artwork © 2012 Francesco Francavilla

2 comments:

Chad Carter said...

Brilliant as ever. Redundant to say, FF. I continue to hold your work up as an example of the finest creative output currently on display. Particularly in the sense of the kind of fundamental and deftly evocative yet delightfully free of self-conscious hubris. Most artists today seem obsessed with how many veins and over-sized breasts can make up the unrealistic anatomy. The Francavilla work seems far more interested in shadows and story-telling. I don't know how you thrive in today's market, but I'm truly thankful you do. Humbly so.

Francesco Francavilla said...

That is some of the sweetest comments I have read EVER! :) Thank you so much, Chad, and thanks for hanging around Pulp Sunday (and my art) for this long, I REALLY appreciate it :)

Cheers,
Francesco